Thursday, December 30, 2010

Who needs meat?! Not me!

I'm a die-hard vegetarian...anything that runs, swims, flies, creeps, crawls, walks, etc, etc...I do not eat.  Ordinarily this is actually quite easy.  Being Indian there are plenty of veggie options and I live in a cosmopolitan city where finding vegetarian food is not difficult.  It's not always delicious or plentiful but it's usually easy to find.  But I struggle a little around the holidays because friends feel compelled to make vegetarian options but that usually means steamed string beans (did someone forget the flavor?) or mashed potatoes (fine but I'd like something not beige and bland on my plate please!).  And, I'm sorry, but Tofurkey?  Ew...No, thank you!

So finding a veggie dish that works well and fits in amongst the traditional holiday favorites is always always fun and a treat!  Well this holiday season, I decided to try my hand at a veggie version of stuffed cabbage.  No meat...just deliciousness.  And it was awesome.  Which was satisfaction in itself...getting to eat a yummy veggie treat while my friends were chowing down on meat and not being relegated to flavorless blah...but the BEST bit was watching my good friend, the meatatarian, take THIRDS of the stuffed cabbage.  Yeah!  If he can be converted anyone can!  Next stop - making a GOOD veggie burger that doesn't taste like boiled beans and nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment