Sunday, December 26, 2010

Confidence Must Be Sexy!

It's funny how in one moment your outlook can change so quickly!

At the moment, I'm carrying a couple of extra holiday kilos, the winter forces the packing away of all my alluring skirts, and I'm sure my nose gets a leeeetle bit red :-)  And yet, for some reason, I've been feeling good about myself...which, oddly enough, results in my feeling even better about myself!  Interesting cycle!

Strangely, it started on a day when I was feeling particularly down.  I was walking to work and feeling like the weight of the world was on my shoulders - behind in everything work-related, unclear about where my future was going to be, no romantic prospects on the horizon, and an interminable winter to look forward to (which I hate!).  But as I was morosely making my way, I suddenly decided right then and there that I was NOT going to be depressed/stressed/sad.  After all, I'm blessed with so much.  Instead, I took a deep breath, looked up and made myself smile.  At first it was an effort but oddly enough, within minutes there was a spring my step and the day looked good.

That change in attitude would have been lovely in itself...but somehow confidence really must be sexy.  Because despite the winter wear and the rudolph look, it seemed like I was now getting admiring glances from passers-by.  Ever notice that men only open and hold doors for good looking women?  Well, something about my newfound happiness must have brought a sparkle to my eye because all of a sudden it seemed like I didn't need to touch a single door.  And most importantly, my smiling exterior garnered me smiles from those I passed...happiness is contagious after all...making me even happier!

So for the last few weeks, despite being equally behind and stressed and despite the winter, I've been feeling fantastic and confident and sexy.  Which garners more smiles and admiring glances...making me feel even better about myself.  And that cycle seems to have translated into my romantic life as well because all of a sudden, romantic prospects abound as well...even thoughd I haven't done anything differently!  And in the "when it rains it pours" tradition, I also got an unsolicited job offer that would be a substantial promotion!  Very flattering!

Of course, some of this is my perception.  The smiles and glances may have been there before (albeit less frequently) but in my morose state, I doubt I'd have noticed them.  And perhaps the men around me are all very chivalrous and would have opened doors had I just given them a chance...maybe they even did and I didn't notice in the midst of my winter blues!  But I know it's not all perception...there definitely is a tangible change even accounting for the fact some of that change may be just the way I'm relating to the world.

I also know this is not a permanent guarantee for anything.  The job offer is in another city where I am not sure I want to live.  The romantic prospects are just that - prospects - and I'm awfully good at not following through at those!  And the confidence may wane as the stress takes over...it's all contigent on my maintaining this positive outlook.  But for now...I'm going to enjoy it all I can!  It's my new year's resolution.  After all, when you've got it...flaunt it!

So...my advice to anyone reading this blog...if you're feeling down, don't fret.  Take a deep breath, remember all you're blessed with and that there are others less fortunate...and smile.  If you make yourself smile for long enough, suddenly you really ARE smiling...and then the world smiles with you :-)

Ok enough cheese...time to go back to work so I can catch up and maintain the stress-free positive 'tude!!

No comments:

Post a Comment